Up to 4,000 Robins Employees May Be Furloughed | Families
Robins Air Force Base officials were hoping Democrats and Republicans would reach a spending deal by midnight, but they prepared for the worst.
"While we're hopeful the budget uncertainty will be resolved, we're currently preparing as many as 4,000 members of our workforce to be furloughed, which would occur if there is a lapse in appropriations," Robins AFB spokesman David Donato stated in a news release. "This includes making the employees aware of the administrative procedures associated with this type of furlough, including the timing of those actions. Military personnel would continue in a normal duty status."
"Of course, we hope all this planning is ultimately unnecessary," Donato added. "A furlough would put severe hardships on an already stressed workforce."
The base says those people slated to be furloughed should report to work Tuesday morning to get instructions.
The news release was issued Monday afternoon. By early this morning, the White House had ordered federal agencies to begin shutting down.
Upcoming Events near Robins
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Trash Making Money, Power
- Russell Pkwy repaving could continue for two weeks
- Robins Federal Credit Union Blood Drive could saves over 95 lives
- Group intends to give away 2,000 backpacks filled with school supplies this Friday.
- City says those conducting a traffic study for the intersection need an extension.